1 x 15 oz can navy beans, pinto beans, or black eyed peas, rinsed and well drained (i used 1/3 can of black beans)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast or 1 small skinless boneless turkey breast cut into 4 large pieces
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
4 garlic cloves passed through a garlic press
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup basil, chopped fine
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
1. chop up all of your veggies and herbs.
2. spread half of the beans in the bottom of your slow-cooker pot.
3. season poultry with pepper and sea salt. heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. brown the poultry on both sides in the skillet for about five minutes on each side.
4. place the browned chicken on top of the beans in the slow cooker. top with remaining beans and the chicken stock. (use water if you don't have chicken stock).
5. saute the onions, celery, garlic, sundried tomatoes, carrots and herbs using the same skillet.
6. spread this mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot. cover and put on slow heat for several hours. (at this point, i just threw everything in a small glass baking dish and popped it in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes (:
after it was done, i plated it up and was AMAZED at how good it tasted!
VIOLA AND HAPPY EATING!